Thursday, April 30, 2009

Art Can't Hurt You

So the ConLaw exam has finally passed and I cannot remember an exam which has ever left me so exhausted. I honestly think even the LSAT was less tiring. After this ConLaw exam (which was 4.5 hours long, by the way) I came home and could barely hold a phone conversation, let alone dive into studying for another exam. At Mary Baldwin, self-scheduled exams were standard procedure, with the possible exception of art classes where slides played a major part in the exam. While I was there, they (the royal “they” so often referenced) always mentioned how lucky we were to have self-scheduled exams and it was always a big selling point stressed to prospective students. I never really thought much of it, not being overly familiar with any other way of doing things. Now that I am living through the alternative however, I am seriously missing the luxury. Though my exam schedule this semester is not too bad, in undergrad, I always relied on my ability to move things around if I got in a jam or wasted a day procrastinating. Now that I have no wiggle room, forcing myself to study has become a sort of an art form. Too frequently, I feel like a toddler, rewarding myself periodically and taking all too frequent breaks for something even marginally more fun (like washing dishes or watering my plants). Of course right now, the blog is the procrastination of choice, so...


Laws:
The exam currently up at bat is Property, standard fodder for any 1L. Looking back over my notes for the semester, my first thought is how little the average person knows about property, despite the fact that it permeates nearly every aspect of our lives. (Okay, lets be honest, that was my second thought. My first thought was, Damn, I should have taken better notes...) For example, one of the things we discussed on the first day of class was the word property itself. Most people assume that the word property refers to the whatever thing it is you own. However, in the legal context at least, this is completely wrong. In actuality, property refers to the relationship that exists between you and the thing, not the thing itself. Though this seems like a tiny distinction, its this kind of subtle nuance that the law is built on, and the kind of completely ridiculous minutia that I love.

The other thing that is currently on my mind about property is just how much it is related to other subjects. At least in my opinion, overlap in various areas of law is to be expected. The overlap I didn't expect come from other fields that I've dabbled in. The example that is the most stark in my mind right now has to do with art and symbolism. Throughout this semester, my professor has referred to ownership rights as a bundle of sticks. Fee simple ownership is when a possessor has all the sticks of the bundle in his possession. Granting easements, future interests or life estates is like giving some of the sticks away. The power of the ownership is strongest when the sticks are united, but they are still separable and independent. This metaphor, though a little simplistic, is actually a perfect way to understand property rights. But I also can't help but think of other places that the "bundle of sticks" has entered my studies. For example, when I studied art in undergrad, we talked about symbolism in art a lot. One of my favorite pieces for symbols is Houdon's statute of George Washington. In the statue, there is plow at Washington's feet, symbolizing Washington's desire for the country to return to the field and the work of peace-time after the Revolutionary War. Washington also wears a medal of Cinncinnatus, a 5th century Roman general, nominated as dictator against his wishes, who later disbanded the army and returned to his farm. The best piece of symbolism however is the bundle of sticks sitting at Washington's side. These kinds of bundles, called fasces, originated in Roman times and were used as a symbol of authority and power in the Republic. Washington's fasces, in the statue, consist of 13 sticks, representing the 13 colonies of the new republic. The 13 colonies are strongest when united, but they are still distinct and independent. Washington however, was portrayed as having complete power over all the sticks. It could almost be said that Washington is portrayed as holding the new nation in fee simple. Uncanny, isn't it?

Sausages:
Unfortunately, the studying has overtaken the cooking and I haven't any new culinary adventures to report (though I have found a new organic food store, with which I am now completely obsessed, so that's one thing). However, I do have some food related commentary despite. Some of my favorite interests revolve around food. Recently, some of my close friends and I have all found ourselves on a similar organic food jag. Perhaps its just a symptom of our age or our slightly incendiary personalities, but we have all been reading anything we can get our hands on about organic food, eating locally, the Slow Food movement, raw foods, sustainable agriculture and more. I won't bore you with my rant (as it could go on for days) but suffice to say, organics have become a bit of obsession for me. To parallel my reading, I've also taken some more proactive measures. For one, I've taken to growing lettuce and herbs on my front stoop, and though my roommate thinks I'm slightly nuts, its been fabulous fun. My other new love though is the farmer's market. The Colonial Williamsburg one has been having sporadic winter markets (that I've happily attended, and photographed...) and the regular season starts this weekend. However, while the farmer's market goes on in all its wonder on Saturday, I'll be trapped in the library taking the aforementioned Property exam. The sacrifices I make for my career...


I'll end the rant here, but as a parting word, if there is a farmer's market anywhere near you, go. GO! Talk to the growers and farmers who come to market. You'll find that farmer's are not the backwoods rednecks that children's books often lead us to believe they are. The people who come to markets are artists and craftsmen of the soil, hard working and decent people who make their living from their land and are immensely proud of what they do. Though they usually don't go to grad school or toil away in cubicles all day long, they work harder than many of us will ever work in our lives. They're subject not only to the hell that is the economy, but to the mess we've made of our planet, changing and unpredictable weather patterns, corporate competition, a processed food culture and a society with little love for vegetables. But the organic and local food movements are growing as the economy forces us to reconsider our priorities. These movements are, and always have been, fueled by individuals: the farmer's who tend their crops and the consumers who love to buy them. Become one of these individuals who are willing to give the extra few minutes and the extra few dollars that it takes to be a concerned eater. You'll feel incredible and have tons of fun. Plus, your food will taste great!

No comments: